February 20, 2012

Mama Mondays: Remember These Times...

If there is one piece of advice I have heard over and over as a mother, it is to "Remember and cherish these times, because each stage goes by so quickly, and little ones are only little for such a short time."  And I have to say, that is so true.  I feel like (in some ways) just yesterday, I was sitting here with my baby boy in my belly.  And here he is... a big boy already!

I was reminded of that piece of advice on a little outing Miles and I recently had.  A "Mama moment" that I will never forget...


So last Friday was the day of my own maternity shoot.  (Thanks so much to my sweet friend Jessica for bringing my ideas and set ups to life!)  The countdown to baby girl is on!


A few hours before my maternity shoot, Miles and I made a quick trip to Target to see if I could find anything pink / girlie to wear.  You see, I grew up on a little farm in the Midwest with two older brothers, and would not say I was a "girlie-girl."  At all.  Pink was never in my wardrobe.  Dresses were a rarity (sorry mom!).  I was usually either in athletic clothes playing sports, or farm clothes caring for my animals.  But as I have grown up, I enjoy adding a little color into my wardrobe, and thought since I'm having a baby girl (and have definitely become a lot more girlie over the years), I thought a pink dress might be on my list.

I grabbed a few things off the rack and put them in my cart.  (Mamas - you know that shopping with a 2 year old means you literally GRAB them quickly like a drive-by grab off the rack!)  We headed into the dressing room, and I tried a few things on.  When I put the pink dress on, you would have thought I put on a glamourous wedding gown by Miles' reaction.  He literally stopped whatever he was busy with and had this look of "awe" (bless his little heart) on his face and said, "WHOA, Mama... That dress is beeeeeautiful!"  I said, "You like it?"  And still with his little "awe look" he goes, "Yaaa... I don't want you to take it off."  Then he put his arms out and said, "Can you hold me?  You look so pretty.  Can you buy that?"

His reaction, the look on his face, the sweetness in his voice, and the sincerity of what he said (which by the way was SO appreciated when I'm feeling big as a house with pregnancy) are things I will never forget.  Ever.

Although motherhood is certainly the most challenging job, it is also the most rewarding one.  "Remember and cherish these times, because each stage goes by so quickly, and little ones are only little for such a short time."



I wanted to make sure to get a picture of he and I (wearing "the pink dress") to help me remember that sweet, sweet day.  :)