August 25, 2012

Newborn Before & After {Austin Baby Photographer}

I am sitting here editing portraits with my sweet baby sleeping on my lap.  Perfection.  (Even at 6am on a Saturday morning.)

I wanted to take a minute and show you a before and after.  I adore newborn sessions.  There is such a sense of love, excitement, and the unknown when working with newborns.  I mean, here you have this less than two week old member of a family, but already they are the most loved little being in the world.  It is amazing.  And I am so happy I get to capture those sweet (and very short-lived) moments of tiny-ness that newborns have.  Best part about photography is freezing those moments in time.  Babies change in a matter of days... but you'll always have your portraits to look back on.  Love, love, love.

I know that newborn photography (or any professional photography for that matter) is an investment.  I didn't make that investment when my first child was born.  And I try not to have regrets, but I do regret that.  I just thought we couldn't afford it.  I never asked photographers about payment plans, and I never saved up for it.  I could have done each of those things.  However, I know it was all part of God's plan, as that is one of the major things that started Miles of Smiles Photography.  (See how we started here.)  And for that, I'm forever grateful.  (I just wish I had more sweet images of little Miles when he was tiny!) 

I did make the investment when my second was born.  Let me just tell you - I have never thought twice about the investment, and now that my babies are getting so big, it is one of the best investments I have personally made.  And now that I have professional cameras and lenses, and I'm a photographer, it's safe to say I have gotten a "few" images of my baby girl since she was born.  :)  Every day, I walk past the images displayed throughout my home, and my heart feels a little flutter.  That is worth every penny. 

Here is one example of why to invest in a professional newborn session.  This is just one example of a before and after image.  Newborns have a lot of unique colorations when they are this tiny.  Some parts (feet, hands, etc.) are sort of magenta, sometimes skin tones are a bit orange, skin can be flaky, etc.  So there is a lot of editing required.  Photographers pour hours into detailed editing and making sure to give you little masterpieces in each image they display, but oh how fun it is to create these images for families to enjoy!  How sweet is Miss Lucy?  Love her!


Click here for the rest of her session and family. 

Looking forward to several newborn sessions coming up this fall!  I swear... it is the "year of the girls," because almost all of my clients are having baby girls.