August 07, 2012

Tip of the Month: Just Shoot It! {Austin Family Photographer}

Who doesn't want to take better pictures of their kids?  True... many times it seems when something photo-worthy is happening, our camera is in the farthest room in the house.  Or maybe we never hop in the pictures with our kids because our hair is never done.  (I'm guilty!)  But the truth is, in the digital age we are in right now, we have the ability to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more without having to process every image we take.  My kids have taught me so much about life and love, but they have taught me so much about photography too!

Every month in my email Newsletter, I will be including a tip on taking better pictures of your kids.  This has been a popular theme, and I think it will be fun sharing some things like this.  If you are not currently  on my monthly Newsletter list and would like to be, shoot me an email and I'll be sure to add you.  (Newsletter fans are the first to know about mini-session specials, big deals, and more.)  

Tip #1 is simple.  Just shoot it!  And then shoot some more. 
Taking good images is like most other things in life... the more you practice - the better you get.  You wouldn't expect to pick up a basketball and immediately be able to score 30 points a game.  Same goes for your camera.  Hours of practice will equal huge improvements over time.

First of all, dust off that camera manual and commit to spending just one hour with it.  Yes, that little booklet that came along with your camera.  Trust me... that one hour can teach you so many little things and tricks that your camera is equipped to do.  Whether you have a point and shoot camera or a DSLR... Those things can equal huge improvements in your images.  It will be an hour well spent.  Promise.  

Secondly, just shoot it!  Get out there and start shooting images with your camera.  Here is a neat checklist of images to capture of your kids to get you started.  Happy photographing!  (And mamas: Do me a favor and hop in on some of these shots... you'll be glad you did!)

Stay tuned to my September newsletter for Tip #2.

Click on the image to enlarge.