August 02, 2012

The W Family {Austin Newborn Photographer}

To say I enjoyed every minute of this session would be an understatement.  I was able to do this couple's anniversary portraits in early 2011, and then their maternity session in May (click here).  We wanted to get some "after" shots to go along with a few of the maternity shots we captured, so they scheduled a mini-session to get that done.

For true newborn photography, mini-sessions (30-minutes) are not a possibility, because in order to get those "sleepy baby shots," it is best to have a session done by the time baby is 2 weeks old.  And a true newborn session takes anywhere from 1.5-3 hours due to baby's schedule, need to feed, and the time it takes to get baby to sleep during poses.  By 2 weeks of age, the baby starts waking up a bit more compared to the 5-10 day olds who sleep a lot.

But - if you have a new baby and didn't get your session done in that 5-14 day old timeframe, you can absolutely still get wonderful images of your new addition while they are still tiny!

Here is an example of a baby that was 5 weeks old.  She was pretty alert, but I love the fact that her eyes are open and she's interacting a lot with her parents in these images.  What a little beauty!  If you can believe it, this was a 30-minute mini-session!  I had things lined up and ready, and we got priceless memories captured on camera for her mom and dad to enjoy always.

Sneak peek into our session...






Shots like the one below are totally "ah hah" moments for me in this business.  I adore them because they show the true tiny-ness of a newborn, and we all know that doesn't last long!  Our photographer got one of me and my sweet baby girl this spring, and I will always cherish it.
 

And this is what the sweet baby's mama sent to me after the session.

"Oh my! Sarah you are absolutely AMAZING! Our morning had been totally crazy before we arrived, but you made sure that our shoot was calm and FUN.

Plus, I was SUPER impressed with the variety of shots you accomplished in such a short time, and that my less than cooperative little one didn't phase you a bit.

Thank you SO much for capturing these precious family moments for us- I can't wait to display more of your beautiful work in our home.
Again, thank you thank you THANK YOU!"

~Jessica