March 08, 2011

The Miles of Smiles Photography Difference - Part I

(Written on March 8, 2011)

Recently, someone asked me, "How do your services differ from the photography options that I have used in the mall?"

The words that instantly came to mind were time, creativity, and passion. (Read about my mall experience here.) This is part one of a two part series.  Click here for part two.

Time:
First and foremost, the thing that I put into a client's experience is time. I have found that one of my photo sessions can take anywhere from 4-8 hours of my time.
  • Time in preparing for the session: Determining the ideal location, finding out the type of shots that my client wants and making sure that happens, figuring out any props that would work well, and ensuring that the shoot will be a huge success from start to finish. I am in no way saying you can't get great pictures at a store in the mall, but I can tell you that they don't prepare for your session like an individual and professional photographer will.
  • Time editing: One of the many things I have learned as a photographer is that editing is a bear. But it is also the thing that can turn great photographs into exceptional ones that will tug on heart strings, freeze a precious memory forever, and provide photos that can be looked at and cherished for years and years to come.  Editing is a photographer's artistic spin on the shots she takes.
  • Time in finalizing materials and providing convenient options for clients: The main thing I wanted to offer my clients other than exceptional photographs was convenience and exceptional customer service.  From viewing their images, to ordering their products... I want my clients to enjoy the process.  I also offer digital package options where clients may purchase the high-resolution images on a CD.  I mail that CD right to their home along with a printing release, so they own those images and can share them any way they wish.
Stay tuned for part II... on "Creativity" and "Passion."