April 30, 2012

Mama Monday: My Family's Portraits

If you can believe it, the only "professional" portraits we have had done of our family (other than by my camera) was at a quickie place in the mall when Miles was a tiny little sprout.  (It was an "interesting" experience.  Read about it here, and how it jump started my own photography business...)

My family, like many, can't just afford to spend thousands of dollars on portraits.  But I will say, professional portraits are an investment worth making.  They don't have to cost thousands of dollars.  But if done by a professional, they are professional pieces of artwork ("paintings," if you will) created specifically for you, so they are (and should be) a bit of an investment.

Being a photographer, I certainly understand the time, energy, and money that goes into a photography business, a single shoot, and providing customized artwork for clients.  We as photographers work weekends, long days, late nights, and pour everything we have into this passion of ours, mastering our camera and other equipment, educating ourselves for our craft, and creating images and services that our clients will love.  So yes... quickie places in the mall can give you okay images.  Or, you can work with a professional photographer and get those "wow" images (not to mention customer service and professionalism) to cherish forever. 

This time around, I knew that I wanted to have professional portraits done.
  1. Because Avah may be our last baby.  (Don't even get me started about what a sap I am about how quickly my tiny baby is growing!)  
  2. Because babies grow up SO fast, and it is amazing to capture their true tiny-ness, because as much as we may want them to be, they will never be tiny again.  
  3. Because I wanted someone else to do the work of the shoot, editing, etc. and get some sweet shots of our new family of 4.  I wasn't sure I would get all of the images I've gotten of tiny Avah myself (we had a lot of photo shoots the first 3 weeks when my mom was here helping at home), and wanted to make sure we got it on camera.  
Newborn photography is certainly an art, and requires a lot of talent, a huge dose of patience, and a great deal of strategy to get (and keep!) those cuddly little babies sleeping, to pose them, and to prepare for/set up/and break down the session (think equipment, space heater, props, etc.).   I shot my first newborn session in January 2011 and was amazed at how difficult (and fun!) it was.  I adore newborn shoots because it is such a special time in a family's life.  And since that first newborn shoot, I've worked with many newborns, done a lot of self education, attended workshops, and my images have come a long way since then.  Also, sweet little Avah has certainly made me a much better newborn photographer!

We did this shoot when Avah was one week old.  It is so important to do a newborn session before the baby is 12 days old, as they "wake up" a lot more around two weeks of age, and they are not as pose-able.  (But sweet shots can definitely be had when baby is more than two weeks old... click here.)

Our images were done by Neely Brook Photography.  She is a local photographer here in Austin, and I have been following and enjoying her work the last year or two.  I just love how the images turned out, and we will cherish them forever.  Thanks, Neely!

Professional portraits are definitely a splurge, but they are custom artwork, tailored to your family's needs, and such a sweet way to freeze special moments in time and look back on them for generations to come.  Here are a few of my favorite images that Neely captured.  Enjoy!



I have had a blast making newborn headbands the last month.  This is one of my favorites.