April 22, 2012

Before & Afters: My DIY Transformations

I love finding little "treasures" and restoring them to be "perfectly imperfect."  For some reason, it brings me great satisfaction to take something that is old, dirty, and sometimes abandoned and then clean it up, paint it, and find unique beauty it.  I think it is the creative side of my brain that just loves making trash into treasure. 

My photography business has given me a great excuse to really dive into this passion (and to justify all the "stuff" in my corner of our garage to my husband!), because I am able to use much of what I restore in my photography sessions.  Here are a few of my DIY projects as of late.

Last summer, I was on my way home from a photo shoot and saw this chair and mirror sitting in a big pile of "stuff" along the road.  I stopped my mini-van (which is a great "stuff" carrier, by the way!) and grabbed a chair and the mirror - knowing I could eventually make them sparkle.  And sparkle they do!  Every time Miles sees this chair in my studio space, he looks at it and says, "Awwwww... cute chair, mom!"  (He doesn't even know the story behind it... he just thinks it's cute.)  :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

 The mirror is hanging on the wall in my office, where there are all (accent) things this color (Jamaican Sea by Behr) and my other favorite color, "Peacock Feather" (also by Behr).

BEFORE: 
AFTER:

I also re-did this chair in Jamaican Sea color.  Got it (and a desk) for $10 at a garage sale last year.

AFTER:

More to come!  My sander and paint brushes have been busy!  Stay tuned...