June 29, 2011

The Making of a Portrait {Austin Newborn Photographer}

There are so many things that go into a photo session.  Preparation time, consulting with clients to get them the shots they are dreaming of, shooting the session, and then comes editing.  Hours are spent on editing and really taking those captured images and finalizing them in a way that goes with the vision I had during the shoot.

This month, I have done a lot of shopping for photography props.  And I have to say, it is SO much fun!  But I wanted to go into the story of one particular prop and the process of looking for it, buying it, and bringing a creative idea to life through a sweet new life.

I have been on the hunt for living room curtains for months.  I don't think I am that picky... other than price point.  So the fact that it took 3 times of buying (and then returning) curtains shocked me.  (I'm happy to say I finally found some in the right color that fit my budget!)

Anyways... a few weeks ago, little Miles and I headed to Garden Ridge to return curtains.  I thought it would be a quick in/out trip, so I didn't get a shopping cart to put him in.  (Mistake #1.)  When I walked in, I saw all of the beautiful pots, and thought, "I have several newborn shoots coming up... I should go check them out real quick."

Well, "real quick" turned into me finding a few pots, having to set them next to each other in order to pick "the one" - all while trying to keep an almost 2 year old in my arms.  (My fitness background certainly comes in handy with my photography business!)  I just couldn't do it anymore, so I had to set Miles down.  (Mistake #2!)  

That little man was OFF to the races, let me tell you!  He took off, and before I could catch him, he had covered about 3.5 aisles and was just laughing, laughing, laughing!  (I have to admit, although inconvenient, it was cute.)  I grabbed him, grabbed this pretty little pot, and lugged them to the counter thinking, "Oh, Sarah... how hard would it have been to have gotten a cart?!"  Live and learn, right?

Anyways... that is how the idea started... In my head.  Then in Garden Ridge.  And later in my backyard with this beautiful baby girl.  I love this job.