December 16, 2012

A Big Thank You... Looking Back on 2012

As I sit here (image below was taken as I'm typing this blog post) reflecting on 2012, I have so much gratitude in my heart for the incredible people, babies, children and families that I have gotten to work with this year and for all that I have learned from the many webinars, books, conferences, and educational things that I have completed in 2012.

You see, photography is not a hobby for me.  It is my job.  One that I take very seriously... one that helps feed my children... one that I work very hard at - and very interesting hours for.  But one that I wouldn't trade for any other job in the world.  And the last two years of Miles of Smiles Photography have been nothing short of amazing, action packed, and rewarding.



2012 has been a year of huge changes for me.  It was the year that I made the leap and left my secure job to pursue photography full time.  It was the year that I put my belief of knowing what hard work, dedication, and creativity would bring if I just believed in it and jumped in without reserve.  It was the year that I pursued the one thing that would allow me to work, but also to have much more time with my children during the week.  It was the year that my sweet baby girl was born and joined her big brother, daddy, and me.  It was the year that I implemented numerous business changes.  And it was pretty much a year that I believe defined the journey that my life is taking the next decade or longer. 

That picture above... the one of me holding my baby girl while working at my desk today is so symbolic of where my life is at right now.  (Notice from the picture that my office sometimes doubles as a baby entertainment space, prop storage, home gym, and creation station.)  Of course, I miss the people, salary, health benefits, and security of my previous full time job (I used to be the Fitness/Wellness Program Coordinator at the University of Texas).  But do you know what I never got to do during my work week there?  I never got to do the one thing I'm doing in that picture above.  Hold my baby.  Cook my son lunch.  Snuggle with the kids before their nap.  The list goes on and on... And that is ultimately what jump started Miles of Smiles Photography in 2010 when my son, Miles, was just a tiny little thing, and took it from an idea to a business.

So, with an enormous amount of gratitude in my heart for all of my wonderful clients, Facebook followers, and encouragers... I thank you for an incredible 2012.  And with excitement, I look forward to 2013 and seeing what God has in store for Miles of Smiles Photography, the Miles of Smiles Photography family, and my own little family.

Wishing you and yours a very blessed holiday season, and a year of unforgettable love and fun in 2013.