June 11, 2012

Mama Mondays: For the Love... {Austin Family Photographer}

Like any job or profession, every now and then, everyone needs a little nudge in the right direction... a little "atta girl or atta boy..." a little reinforcement that we're on the right path in life.  And I must say, this session with the O Family was that for me.

I am not doubting at all that this is where I am supposed to be in life, in profession, in motherhood... But sometimes all the running of a business and being "Jack of all (ALL!) trades" can wear me down a little bit and take away a little of my energy in the parts I love the most... shooting sessions, meeting new clients, working with repeat clients, and providing them with images they will cherish forever.  All of the logistics, income/expenses, pricing, trying to make a little bit of a living, receipts, taxes, accounting, etc... yep... that is hard stuff to keep up with.  But I wouldn't trade it for the world if it means I get to capture moments like this for people who are so excited to be living them.  That is "it" for me... For the love of photography and capturing those moments for my clients

When I shot the image below, I knew it would be great.  And when it came up on my computer screen afterwards, it was an "ah hah" moment.  This is why I do what I do.  This is who I long to capture sweet images for.  For mamas that love their babies.  That is what started Miles of Smiles Photography in the first place.  And that was my "atta girl" experience.  (Click here to read how it started.  I got "malled.")  




Katie received a gift certificate for a photo session at her baby shower before her sweet daughter was born.  And I have to say... what an incredibly thoughtful gift.  Katie was so excited for our session (for many months, she says!), and had things organized just perfectly... from the outfits (coordinating... but not too matchy - good job, Katie!) to the jewelry to the ideas she had for a few of the shots.  This session had it goin' on... from the sweet little family, to Caroline's sweet smile (and tiny little teeth!), to getting to use my Grandad's high chair (over 90 years old from when he was a baby!), to the pretty wildflowers in the background.  It was perfect.

There are some people you meet that you immediately click with in life, and Katie is one of those.  At one point, we were talking about being organized mamas, and I said, "Do you color coordinate your daily planner?"  She looked at me with a big grin and said, "Uh Huh!  And do you make to do lists... and sometimes do things not on the list - and then put them ON the list just so you can scratch them out?"  I smiled at her and said, "UH HUH!"  A connection was born.  :)  They were such a sweet little family to photograph.  Their love for each other and for their baby girl is so apparent and so kind.  And their sweet little Caroline... how precious is she?! 

For anyone who has started, maintained, and expanded their own business - while keeping up with your kiddos, spouse, and house - I salute you.  It is hard work.  But it is great work.  And I know my journey has really only just begun (Miles of Smiles Photography started in October 2010).  This is now my main job, as I no longer coordinate the group fitness program at the University of Texas.  So it's not only the job that fulfills my creative passions in life... but it also helps support my sweet little family.  For those of you reading... for my amazing clients... for those I may get to serve in the future - thank you for being on this amazing ride with me.  I am so incredibly grateful for where God has led it since 2010, and cannot wait to see where it goes in the future.