April 22, 2015

Giving Back: Portraits with Santa - 2014

OH how I love photographing this event in my neighborhood each year!  I adore my community, and love getting to witness the kiddos and their reactions to Santa Claus himself.

One of my goals for my Miles of Smiles Photography business is no matter how busy I get, to always do little things to give back to the Austin community and the families and neighborhood that I live in. 

Here are the 3 reactions that I see most when photographing this event.

Number one reaction: The child is SO excited to meet Santa and runs right up to him, hugs him, looks him over, tells him exactly what they are hoping for this Christmas, and acts like Santa is their best bud.

Number two reaction: The child is excited but SO shy and isn't quite sure what to think about Santa, sitting on his lap, or having a picture taken with him.  This reaction is usually calmed by Santa giving the child a candy cane, and usually, a small smile appears in time for me to snap a portrait of it.

Number three reaction: Sheer and utter fear.  Santa is such a nice man... I love getting to work with him each year at this time.  But Santa doesn't always love when parents shove a screaming baby onto his lap.  So we work together... Santa and me... as a team, to make sure the children who are super scared get a little distance and comfort while they visit Santa Claus.

My kiddos had a fun reaction this year (no tears!).  Miles climbed right up on his lap and gave him a drawing he had made, and Avah (though shyly) sat on his lap and once she got back off and into her "safety zone," she was chatting his ear off.  ;)



Here is a tiny little peek into my day with Santa.  It was wonderful serving the adorable children and families here in my neighborhood, and I am already looking forward to Snapshots with Santa in 2015!